For over two decades the NGO, NAC & CPC, has been in waiting for suitable /appropriate justice that it had exposed at the cost of its president, having to stay in police lock –up with dreaded gangsters in company
The light for justice against corruption is not easy, it has never been and never will be ,it exacts a toll on ourselves , our families , our friends &especially our children.
This magazine met the President,All India Shri Mohan Krishnan of Malad Suburb in Mumbai to have a tete –a – tete conversation to understand the light for justice,
Mohan Krishnan had exposed the links of the underworld dons / gangsters with police officers in support with politicians & construction barons. He was falsely implicated with frivolous criminal charges so that he could be put –up in lock –up to be threatened.
Here, he underwent torture, but learnt the hard way how the gangsters work. Through a petition the NGO informed the police authorities of the nexus, instead of working on the lend, the police informed the rival gangster of the sensitive information that they had managed to seek.
What better does one expect when the entire dossier file disappears from the police station, to end up in the Retired Investigation officer’s village home in Satara district.
Though the file may have been retrieved & re opened, it has yet to see the light of the day. Perhaps the case is status –quo, or it could be a deliberate attempt to lie low to save faces. Meanwhile the NGO has vowed to pursue the issue to seek a Natural end.
Damning extracts the voluminous correspondence with the authorities is reproduced, some by way of xerox and same by forwarded letters to take cognizance of the subject matter to investigate further
In the end , I believe , as in my case , the price we have paid is will worth holding on to our dignity.
We all know that the underworld has been known to harass and threaten people who stand up against them. If a person does not do what they say, they will leave no stones unturned to make the person’s life a living misery. The underworld has been known to create ruckus especially when somebody who fights for justice crosses their path. In this article one such incident that took place is being highlighted.
Mohan Krishnan, the All India President of National Anti Corruption and Crime Preventive Council had raised a voice against the illegal construction that was going on the Adivasi land. On September 3rd, 2000 at 11 AM, Mr. Mohan Krishnan Kurup receives a rather strange phone call. Mentioned below is the transcript of the conversation that happened between Mohan Krishnan and the caller whose goes by the name of Vinod or Vinod Bhai who is part of the Chota Rajan’s gang. During the transcript, they will be referred as MK (Mohan Krishnan) and VB (Vinod Bhai). A lot of things were revealed during the entire conversation which is very shocking in a way.
MK -Haan boliye, Kaun bol raha hai?
MK- Yeh khidhar ka number hai?
VB – Yeh Hongkong ka number hai
MK – haan
VB – Yeh number pe zara aap phone karna
MK – Kai ke liye
VB- aap karna, kaiy ke liye kya? Idhar Rajan Sahib milengey, unsey baat karlo zaara.
MK – kaun Rajan Sahib?
VB- Chota Rajan
MK – Chota Rajan milengey?
VB- Haan, baat karna zara phone pe
MK- Kai key liye
VB- Phone karo, kai key liye ky hai
VB- phone karna
MK- nahi lekan, abhi mere idhar sey STD facility nahi mere ghar sey
VB- toh jaake bahara se lagao na
MK- toh aap baat karwao na phone pe
VB- main kya baat karao, tum pehle phone lagau udhar
VB- phone lagao udhar
MK- aap kaun bol raha hai
VB- main Vinod Bhai bol raha huin
MK- Hello…… Hello
Line gets disconnected
After sometime again Mohan Krishnan gets another call, this time the caller’s voice is different. The caller first doesn’t reveal his identity, however during the conversation he then states that he is Hemant Pujari. Mentioned below is the transcript of the conversation of Mr. Mohan Krishnan (MK) and Hemant Pujari (HP)
HP- Hello Mohan Krishnan?
HP- Mohan Krishnan yeh number zara likhlo aap
MK- ek minute haan……… Hello
MK- what is this number
HP – yeh Hongkong ka number hai, yeh nana bhai ka number hai
MK- nana bhai ka number ?
HP- haan nana bhai ka number hai, jaante ho na nana bhai ko
MK- nahi jaanta hu nana bhai ko
HP- chota rajan ka number hai
MK- chota rajan ka ?
HP- aur yehan pe tumko nana bhai milenge nahi toh OP bhai milengey
HP- OP singh, OP Singh……… yeh number pe aap baat karlo, apka area main ap kuch bahut much much karela hai maine suna. Main Hemant Pujari bol raha hu.
MK- Hemant Pujari
HP-apke area main aap apne logo ko bahut takleaf waakleaf derela hai, bolta hai udhar.
MK- Kya takleaf de rahe hai…. matlab?
HP- Matlab hamare logo ko aap bahut takeleaf de rahe ho…. nahi aap mere baat sono…. aaap netagarir karte ho jo bhi hai…. social worker ho jo bhi hai vagera rehenge naa, apne logon tak tum nahin aana bhai
HP- Thik hai? Apne log tak aayenga toh phir bolna nahin, humlog neta log ko bhi bakshte nahi. Aap achi tarah sey jaan lo. Lekin aap hamare logon ko takleaf nahi aane dena. Hum phir tumhare beech main ayengey. Samja na Aap? Aap aur Sanjay Ahire, humko do naam mile hai. Sanjay Ahire aur Mohan Krishnan, aap hi ka naam hai na?
MK- Haan mera naam Mohan Krishnan hai
HP- Saab aap dekhna hamare logo tak nahi aana aap zaara
MK- Lekin aapka kaunsa hai area. Kuansa site ka baat kar rahe hai? Kandivali ka site ka?
HP- Dekho meri baat suno, Jo bhi hai, hamara log jidhar hain wahan tum nahi aana
MK- Lekain humko kaise malum padega apka kaun hai?
HP ( raising his tone) Kya tumko kya bolun karke? Aaj apko mera phone aya, iske baad bhi humlog nahi bolengey hamara admi kyan hai, kaun karke…. Nanabhai ne ye number diya hai, aap baat karlo
HP- Main Hemant Poojari bol raha hoon. Aapko nahin samaj main aya to Dahanukarwadi main woh Ratnakar Shetty tha, maulum hai aap ko… bach gaya tha woh. Mere haat sey bach gaya,. Aur woh bhi nahi jaanta to woh Sada Suda tha, Jogeshwari wala… woh tapak gaya tha magar.
MK- Haan woh Rohit ne kiya tha woh?
HP- Rohit ne? Nahi, Hemant Poojari ne kiya tha, Jao usko poochlo. Suda bach gaya tha na usme, usko poocho wo chasmewala kaun tha usme, wo bahot jagah pooch raha tha. Aur woh bhi nahi samaj mein aya to Bandra main Majid Khan gaya tha, udhar pooch lo ke Hemant Poojari kaun hai. Unke gharwale bataenge apko. Aur woh bhi nahi samaj mein aaya to, Belle View hospital main Salim Kurla ko thok diya tha humlogo ne.
And the conversation continues
Teen jaan ko thok diya the, Uske gharwalon ko poocho. Hemant Poojari kaun hai. Theek hai bhaiya? Magar kya hai bhaiya…. humare logon ko takleaf main mat aane dena. Aap social worker haan, mantri vantri jo bhi rahenge aap. Magar aap humare logo ko takleaf mat dena
MK- thik hai
HP- phir bolna nahi ki humne nahi bola hai apko
HP- thik hai… yeh nana bhai ka number hai, nana bhai ko phone karke baat karlo
HP- apko pata chalega humara aadami kaun hai kya hai karke.
MK- thik hai
Further on, Mohan Krishnan even informed Hemant Poojari that his organization was a non political one.
The never ending fight starts
After the call was disconnected, Mohan Krishnan went to seek help from the Dindoshi Police station and launched a complaint against them. The complaint was lodged in the year 2000. Over a due course of time, there was nothing moving or being done against the case that was registered. With the help of the RTI, Mohan Krishnan requested the legal authorities to provide an update on what is happening about the case, however even after 3 years from the time the high court order was issued, nothing was moving neither in the Police station nor in the court.
Finally on 06/2015, 15 years after the case was registered, Mr. Mohan Krishnan sent out a written request for the need of registering a fresh FIR as well as a re investigation of the case that was filed by him against Chota Rajan and his gang.
It was also told to him as per a reply that was given by the Dindoshi Police station against an RTI that was made questioning the progress, that the investigating officer who was in charge of the case had lost the papers. On hearing this, Mr. Mohan Krishnan in his new written request requested that the case should be handed over to the State CID/CBI/ CRIME branch unit.
Simultaneously there were a lot of other things that came out. In a written request dated 11/09, Mr. Krishnan got to know that there was some kind of conspiracy that was cooking between the cops and the criminals. The entire investigation process on its own has many loopholes as well as a lot of unanswered questions. Along with that there were certain statements made by the legal authorities which were questionable on how the case was being handled.
The history of why these threats were coming to him
The social activist Mohan Krishnan had taken up a matter and had made a formal complaint to Shri. V. Ranganathan who was then Municipal Commissioner during the period of year 2000. This was pertaining to the illegal constructions that were carried out at Shailesh Nagar which is located at Orlem in Malad West.
Somehow, Mr. Krishna’s identity came out in the open after which threatening calls such as the one shown above in the transcript started coming to him telling him to withdraw the complaint and take a step back. He was also told that he was creating a problem with their men as he was coming in their way. This was also the main reason why Chota Rajan wanted to talk to Mohan Krishnan and told his men to call, threaten, harass as well as convey the message across that if Mohan Krishnan didn’t back down, they would not leave him in peace.
Some other highlights that took place ever since the complaint was made
1) Since the time the complaint was made till date, nothing has really moved towards a positive direction. During one of the replies that was given to Mohan Krishnan it was stated by an Investigating officer in a letter, that the police has still not managed to find the whereabouts of Hemant Pujari, O.P. Singh (Vinod Bhai), it was also stated that the search was still on and as soon as they were found they would be arrested immediately.
2) Chota Rajan’s rivals somehow managed to get access of the number that was provided to Mohan Krishnan, this is when they had planned the attack which was highlighted all over the news that there was an attempt to murder on Chota Rajan. This particular incident happened soon after Mohan Krishnan got the threatening call from Chota Rajan’s gang. During this time, the only people who had access to these numbers as well as the whole conversation were the cops, even before it was sent out to the media.
3) There was also something fishier going on which was under wraps. The police had accused Mohan Krishnan of leaking out the number to Chota Rajan’s Rivals and had told him also about it. That is when he clearly stated that the number was handed over to one of the higher police officers and he had not leaked it out. Also during this time another strange thing that had happened was that there were 3 cases registered out of the blue against Mohan Krishnan. He was also arrested and kept in the lock up and was released on bail. They wanted to keep on proving that Mohan Krishnan was not a social activist.
4) During the due course of the time he was in the lock up, the threat to his life went to the extent wherein coincidently OP Singh, who was Chota Rajan’s very close associate, had surrendered himself and very conveniently placed in the same jail where Mohan Krishnan was kept. In the middle of the night he was shifted to the same cell as Mohan Krishnan. On entering, he even asked for him and they both sat down to talk, it was during this conversation where OP Singh had stated a lot of facts about the number of cases that were registered against him and how he would get away. All this was planned so that the fear would build up on Mohan Krishnan’s mind so that he could back up.
5) During the same time so called breaking news that had come out in front of the public was the death of OP Singh in the Nashik prison. Apparently as per what was being told, it was stated that OP Singh was plotting against Chota Rajan and this is why Chota Rajan sent DK Rao with 12 gangsters who were awaiting trial in another prison to be transferred into the same one where OP Singh was and strangled him to death. Though this was happening right in front of the cops, there was nothing that was done to help save OP Singh.
6) Another strange thing that happened was the fact that suddenly the entire file in which the complaint was made as well as whatever investigation was done and recorded went missing. Even for the Red corner notice to be released against Hemant Pujari, it took 10 long years and finally with the repeated RTI’s that were sent, the Red corner notice was issued in 2010 against Hemant Pujari.
Just coincidence or well planned timing?
Considering the way things have been going, the one thing we need to really sit down to ponder is the turn of events. It seems rather strange that everything was so coincidental that it has still left us with so many unanswered questions. From the threatening call of Chota Rajan’s gang towards Mohan Krishnan for something which was an issue pertaining to the illegal constructions on Adivasi land to even the fact that not even a fortnight after the threat call, the attempt to Murder was made on Chota Rajan. The false allegations made by the cops and filing 3 false cases to even going ahead and arresting him and putting Mohan Krishnan behind bars. Not to forget the so called surrender of OP Singh to placing him in the same cell as Mohan Krishnan.
A final thought
We really need to sit down to get the facts out, this is why it is essential that the case has to be reinvestigated with a team that will not bow down to any kind of pressure. In the fight for justice and for what is right, there will always be a lot of obstacles that will come in front. However, when there is a team of people who are strong willed and have the ability to stand against criminals and wrong then that can make a whole difference. In a country where criminals can roam around so freely and do not fear the fact that the law can get to them, it is the common man that takes the brunt. While we all do our own part towards making our lives better, we really need to sit down and ponder, raise our voice and ask, force the people who have the power to set things right to stand up and live by the oath that they took while they were given the position to help and protect the citizens of the country.
WAS THE OATH TAKEN TO ONLY PROTECT THEMSELVES? DOES THE OATH HAVE NO MEANING, SIGNIFICANCE AND IMPORTANCE.
ARE THEY JUST WORDS RECITED OR IS THERE A MEANING BEHIND WHAT WAS TOLD?
HOW LONG A COMMON MAN DOES HAVE TO PAY THE BRUNT? GANGSTERS CALL AND HARASS PEOPLE, THEY OPENLY CONFESS THEIR CRIMES BUT HOW IS IT THAT THE COPS OR LEGAL AUTHORITIES TAKE THINGS SO LIGHTLY, WHY IS IT THAT WE HAVE TO LIVE IN FEAR OF OUR LIVES EVERY SECOND. WHEN IS THIS GOING TO END? WILL IT REALLY END? HOW CAN IT BE THAT PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE LIE LOW AND SAVE THEIR LIVES WHILE THE COMMON MAN CAN STAND UP AND FIGHT KNOWING THAT HE DOES NOT HAVE THE MEANS OR MODES TO PROTECT HIMSELF?