The Dera Sacha Sauda chief, Gurmeet Ram Rahim, who was held guilty on charges of rape of a female devotee in 1999, was sentenced Twenty years of imprisonment by the Special CBI Court of Panchkula.
Ram Rahim was born on 15 August 1967. he was born and brought up in Gurusar Modia, Sri Ganganagar, Rajasthan, India. He belongs Sikhism Religion, Jat (Khatri Sikh).
Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Insan is an Indian preacher, spiritual leader, and actor. He has been the head of the India-based socio-spiritual organisation Dera Sacha Sauda (DSS) since 23 September 1990.
DSS oversees several social programs, such as a cleanliness campaign, blood drives, tree planting, disaster relief, and support for transgender people, tribal communities, orphans, and rehabilitation of sex workers. His Excellency, Hazoor Maharaj Saint Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Ji Insan descended from anami [Eternal Abode] on Tuesday, August 15, 1967 in a small vicinity [Sri Gurusar Modia] of District Sri Ganganagar (Rajasthan) in the holy royal family of most revered Sardar Maghar Singh Ji and most pious mother, Mata Naseeb Kaur Ji. His reverend father Sardar Maghar Singh Sidhu ji was a rich landlord, and head of the village. He is the only son of most venerable parents, blessed after a span of 18 years. He was brought up with utmost care and affection of respected parents and relatives. Even at the tender age of 5-6, His life was flooded with numerous spiritual experiences of omnipresent and omniscient God. Even though his Holiness was born to parents hailed from Sikh religion, He never adhered to any particular religious faith. A renowned and great pro phet of the village, Sant Triveni Das Ji had been much delighted to fathom the voluntary and authentic Holy selfless services rendered by the pious souls of His Holiness’s loving and caring parents and His most Respected parents had a great affinity for Sant Triveni Das Ji.
Ram Rahim has organised drives for blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol screening that have been recognized by Guinness World Records. In association with the American Society of Echocardiography, he also organized the world record for “Most Cardiac Echo Tests”. On 21 September 2011 in New Delhi, Ram Rahim initiated a series of sanitation drives and also pledged his support to the Central Government’s campaign. As of 2016, about 30 Mega Cleanliness Campaigns have been conducted in several states of India. On 22 May 2012 Ram Rahim laid the foundation of the Shah Satnam ji Super Speciality Hospital at Sirsa. He established a specialised disaster relief and welfare agency called Shah Satnam Ji Green-S Welfare Force Wing in 2001. Especially in the aftermath of the Odisha cyclone and Gujarat earthquake. He was apparently also working against cow slaughter.
The trailer of Rockstar Baba’s upcoming movie MSG: The Messenger of God has got 1.5 Million hits on Youtube
Rockstar Baba is all set to release an action packed film MSG: The Messenger of God where he like a hero will be seen beating the bad boys just like any other Bollywood Hero. Although the movie is scheduled for January 16, 2015 release, the film is already creating a buzz on social media. In a week, the trailer got 1.5 million hits on Youtube.
A hit Musician, he has already sold lakhs of Solo Albums with catchy song titles like ‘Love Charger’, ‘Chora Babbar Sher Ka’, ‘Network Tere Love Ka’, Love Rab Se, Thank You For That’
Forget Bappi Lahiri, the original bling king and meet the Rockstar Baba whose crooning lyrics in Broken English goes, “I’m so lucky because you are my love charger…Billion battery when goes down, you charged up with love, so strong your power love, you are the love charger…” Oops, it is charzer and not charger!
At the Age of 23, he became the Third Chief of Dera Sacha Sauda (DSS) group
The only child of his parents, Ram Rahim was born on August 15, 1967 in Sriganganagar, Rajasthan. At the age of 6, he started helping his father by driving tractor on their field. His father was a follower of Shah SatnamJi, the second chief of Dera Sacha Sauda (DSS) group. In 1990, Satnam declared Ram Rahim as his successor. This is how he became third chief of DSS, a group founded in 1948, by a man – Beparawah Mastana Ji Maharaj.
He Enjoys Z – Level Security Covers
He is one of the 36 people in the country who enjoys the VVIP Status and so a Z – level security cover. This is because he is well-known for wielding influence amongst politicians in Haryana, Rajasthan and Punjab. Sources claim that Chief Ministers of these states even bow before him in respect.
Reported on his official website, he is also said to play a wide range of sports that include volleyball, kabaddi, lawn tennis, cricket, football, billiards, table tennis, snooker, shooting ball, basketball, water polo and others.
About the Case
The rape charges against Dera Sacha Sauda (DSS) chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, regarded as a spiritual leader, has shocked millions of his followers spread across several states with a large concentration in the states of Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh. Gurmeet Ram Rahim, was on Friday held guilty by the Special CBI Court of Panchkula. The quantum of sentence will, however, be announced on August 28. Popularly known as Baba Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh claims to command a veritable following of more than 60 million of his faithfuls, especially the Dalit Sikhs, according to the website of his organisation Dera Sacha Sauda.
The godman was charged with rape of a female devotee in 1999. The CBI took over the investigation in 2002. On 17 August, the special CBI court of Panchkula concluded hearing in the case but reserved pronouncing the verdict for 25 August.
In 2002, a sadhvi had written an anonymous letter addressed to the then PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee, accusing the Dera chief of sexual abuse. On this, controversial godman had told Panchkula court that he is not mentally and physically fit to have sexual intercourse. “Dera chief told the court that he was not fit to indulge in physical relationships,” S.K. Garg Narwana, counsel for Rahim, told media persons.
In the letter, the Sadhvi also accused Gurmeet Ram Rahim of raping several other female followers inside the sprawling Dera campus on the outskirts of Sirsa in the state of Haryana.
Rahim Singh is also facing two murder charges. He is accused of murdering a Sirsa-based journalist, Ram Chander Chatrapati, who had been writing about the Dera’s activities. Chatrapati was shot on October 24, 2001. He died on November 21. He was also accused of allegedly killing, in July 2002, sect manager Ranjit Singh.
Now after 15 years of court dealing, finally Ram Rahim was held guilty of rape by a court in a 15-year-old case – a verdict which led to clashes, arson and violence by his supporters. Two women followers who accused the self-styled “godman” of sexually assaulting and threatening them, have been living in fear; their lawyer said in court today that they would have to move to another state if the guru was acquitted. He also spoke about shifting the case out of Haryana for a fair trial.
Here is all about the case against Baba Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
In 2002, two women, who used to be members of the Dera Sacha Sauda (DSS), accused that they were sexually exploited by the spiritual leader Baba Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh at the headquarters of the sect in Haryana’s Sirsa.
- The case begun with anonymous letter sent to the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, by a Sadhvi, who was part of the organisation, narrating how Singh raped her along with various other Sadhvis.
- According to the media reports, the Sadhvi accused that the spiritual leader Ram Rahim summoned her one night to his room where a pornographic film was running in the background and he possessed a revolver.
- The Sadhvi alleged that she was sexually assaulted by Singh for three years, and 35-40 other women also suffered the same fate.
- The Punjab and Haryana High Court took suo motto cognisance of the explosive letter, and the matter was subsequently referred to the CBI in September 2002.
- Eighteen Sadhvis were questioned by the investigating agency and two of them levelled allegations of rape against the spiritual leader.
- One Sadhvi accepted to investigation officials of CBI that she was raped, but she justified her rape on the grounds that it would “purify” her.
- Testimonies of the two women were recorded under Section 164 of CrPC by CBI, which implied that these statements could be produced in court as evidence.
- On 10 July 2002, a DSS member Ranjit Singh was killed.
- On 23 October 2002 a journalist (the editor of Poora Sach, a local daily from Sirsa) Ram Chander Chattrapati was also killed.
- It was alleged that Ram Chander Chattrapati – the editor of Poora Sach,- was killed because he reported on the nefarious happenings within the Dera Sacha Sauda.
- The slain Ranjit Singh was believed to have been involved in the drafting of the anonymous letter making rape allegations against the DSS chief.
- Singh was named as an accused in both the killings of DSS member Ranjit Singh on 10 July 2002 and journalist Ram Chander Chattrapati on 23 October 2002.
- However, DSS chief Singh consistently denied charges of rape saying, he was ‘Not fit to Indulge in physical relationships’.
- On 30 July 2007, five years after the rape case was filed in 2002 against Ram Rahim Singh, CBI filed a charge sheet against him.
- In 2008, the trial against the spiritual leader commenced following the charge sheet filed by CBI.
- On 6 September 2008, the CBI charged DSS chief Singh under Section 376 (rape) and Section 506 (criminal intimidation) of the Indian Penal Code.
- In April 2011, after three years of the charge sheet filed against Singh, the CBI court was shifted from Ambala to Panchkula.
- The DSS chief has consistently dismissed the charges of rape and murder against him as false and baseless.
- In 2014, Singh even conveyed to the Panchkula court that “he was not fit to indulge in physical relationships”, according to his counsel SK Garg Narwana.
The above allegations of rape are not the only controversy Singh has courted till now. He has been in the controversy for several other reasons also including the allegations of murdering people and castrating his followers as well.
- In 2005, a criminal case was filed against Singh for the alleged kidnap of a woman named Guddi Devi on the complaints filed by Kamlesh Kumar with the Jawahar Circle police station in Jaipur.
- In his complaint, Kamlesh Kumar claimed Singh and his followers had kidnapped his wife Guddi, who had gone to the headquarters in Haryana to attend a Satsang.
A case was of wrongful confinement and abductions was lodged against Singh, Dera managing director DPS Dutta and others under Sections 344, 346, 365 and 120b (criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code, according to media reports.
- In 2007, DSS chief Singh dressed up as the 10th guru of Sikhs – Guru Gobind Singh – in an advertisement that sparked huge controversy and was considered blasphemous by a section of Sikhs.
- Hundreds of people injured after his move to pose himself as the 10th guru of Sikhs – Guru Gobind Singh – which ignited violent clashes between Sikhs and his followers.
In 2012, Singh was accused for the mass castration case.
- A petition was filed in the Punjab and Haryana High Court by Hansraj Chauhan, a former DSS follower, alleging that 400 followers, including him, were castrated inside the ashram on Singh’s order.
- Chauhan said Singh claimed the followers would be able to realise God after castration.
- In 2014, the Singh was booked in connection with the case by CBI.
- CBI found evidence against Singh in the mass castration case a year later.
- In 2014, after reports of illegal arms training surfaced online, the Punjab and Haryana High Court ordered the state government to monitor the activities of the DSS.
- However, no evidence of illegal arms training at the DSS headquarters in Sirsa in Haryana was found, in the investigations, the state government claimed.
- In 2015, Singh again came in MSG movies controversies, when the then censor board chief Leela Samson resigned after the film got clearance from Film Certification Appellate Tribunal (FCAT), saying “It is a mockery of Central Board of Film Certification. My resignation is final.”
- Sikh organisations and leaders protested against the release of the film prompting Punjab and Haryana governments to put high alert after film hit screens.