Swachhta App & Plastic ban is a historical decision by the Corporation, which will change the image & beauty of Mumbai city. I Appeal to the Mumbaikar must support corporation & take active participation for the better tomorrow in the public interest at large. Our aim is to make India clean and open defecation free by 2019.
-Dr. Vijay Singhal, IAS, Addl. Commissioner, MCGM
SWACHH BHARAT ABHIYAN (SBA)
* 2005 Individual Household Latrine (IHHL) have been constructed/ rebuilt since the inception of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan from October 2014.
* As there is limited scope for constructing IHHL in dense slum colonies, 3850 Community toilet seats, 1091 Public toilet seats are constructed under SBA. Public toilets in Mumbai are Geo tagged and uploaded on Google map through ‘Quality Council of India’ for easy access to citizens.
* Temporary toilets are also deployed by MCGM where Community toilets are under construction/ Open Defecation affected areas.
* MCGM 24X7 app has been integrated with Swachchhata App-MoUHA to facilitate SWM department to address the complaints promptly for SWM issue.
* The Swachhata App complaints regularly monitored by ward authorities.
* Efforts are being taken to resolve all the complaints within Service level Agreement (SLA) period.
SEGREGATION & COLLECTION OF WASTE
* Real-time integration of vehicle data and online verification of records before payment of contractual vehicles has made logsheets /weighslips now redundant.
* The percentage of house to house collection has been increased to 98% & segreagation of waste has been increased to 65% in Mumbai.
* 26 new places earmarked under the DP Plan 2034 are being developed for creating decentralized Waste segregation and processing facilities.
* Dedicated dry waste collection vehicle services have been increased from 47 to 94. Newly hired around 350 large compactor & around 250 mini compactors have separate compartment of dry waste to collect segregated waste at source.
COMPOSTING OF WET WASTE AT SOURCE
* To reduce the garbage coming from bulk waste generator, 3364 identification of all residential, commercial, market premises etc (bulk waste generator) have been carried out & notices are issued to them to increase the level of “segregation at source”.
* Total 1064 Bulk waste generators have started to process their wet waste at their premises.
* As a part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, MCGM had organized exhibitions in Mumbai where companies dealing in the field of source segregation, waste processing at source & around societies/ bulk waste generators/ hotel representatives etc. participated in the exhibitions. Meetings have been conducted by MCGM officials with bulk waste generators to guide them for processing waste at source.
* Waste going at dumping ground has been reduced from 9700MT in January 2015 to current level of 7200 MT.
* MCGM has set up vermicomposting projects at Zoos, Gardens, Hospitals, Ward office premises and same is being replicated at decentralised locations.
* MCGM’s Kanjur Waste processing project is receiving around 2700 MT of waste per day and same is processed using Bio reactor technology.
* Around 100 MT of wet waste is being composted at Kanjur facility using Windrows composting and the compost generated is being sold as per guidelines of Govt of India.
SWEEPING & BEACH CLEANING
* At present total 246.61 km. of roads are cleaned and additional 200 kms of road length is proposed to be cleaned by Mechanical Sweeping Machines in year 2018-19. Work is monitored using VTMS system
* Comprehensive Beach cleaning of total length of 33.5 kms is being carried out.
* Films to promote Swachhata App, Swachh Survekshan were prepared & promoted in theatres in Mumbai as a part of IEC activity.
* Rating of cleanliness of Hotels, Schools, Hospital, Mohalla, Market in Mumbai area was done.
* Under capacity building program, MCGM officers were sent to different cities to study various methods being adopted by those local bodies for effective Solid Waste Management.
PLASTIC BAN ACTIVITIES
* As a part of Swachh Bharat Abhiyan MCGM had organized city level exhibition for 3 days from 22 June 2018 to 24 June 2018 at National Sport Club of India (NSCI), Worli. More than 80 vendors dealing in the field of plastic alternative and around 30,000 citizens participated in the exhibition.
* Films to promote plastic ban were prepared & promoted in theatres in Mumbai as a part of IEC activity
* MCGM has been actively participating in Swachh Survekshans conducted by Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoUHA) since 2015.
* Also necessary awareness amongst citizens about the active participation in Swachh Survekshan was created using Hoardings, Banners, Swachhata Raths, short films, posters, etc.