Dr. Shivaji Rathod is an IPS officer of 1996 batch. He was born in Pathardi taluka at Ahmednagar district. He is also a trained veterinarian, He also tried out singing in public at his veterinary college in 1988 as a student. When He was a practising veterinarian for two years when he got selected in the police force in 1996. He brought many unique concept at lathur and has considerably reduced the criminal rate in his zone which got him admirers. Now he is serving as a SP, Thane Rural, where he will give his 100% to stop all the illegal activities and bring discipline in his department. he has implemented a rule that all junior officers must give a few minutes of their time to everyone who comes to the police station and not turn them away.
In an exclusive Interview with India unbound Dr Shivaji Rathod shared his plans and vision for the better policing in Thane Rural.
* Could you share your childhood days & family background and formal education with our readers?
-I was born in Pathardi taluka at Ahmednagar district, I did my school here and graduation from Parel Veterinary College, Mumbai.
* Did you always wanted to join Indian Police Service?
-I wanted a competitive exam so attempted UPSC, I was attracted towards Uniform Job. I got IPS and I am very happy to work as an IPS and having a great experience here.
* What are your memories of 1996 IPS batch? Do you still meet your batch mates?
-We are all in touch via social media as well as we keep our get together and we do keep meeting.
* What you feel people should call you a veterinarian, a policeman or a part-time singer?
-People should identify me as a Police Officer as that is my prime work rest all is just my hobby which keep me fit and my mind stress free.
* Kindly share your memories about Waghmay Mandal Music club at your college days?
-At the time of my graduation first year, I was the president of Marathi Vangmay Mandal my passion on singing started there, I had a great experience there.
* Kindly tell us about your first posting in police Department?
-My first posting was as an Provisional DYSP at Kolhapur district, there people of Kolhapur were very supportive I had a great time there, I did my best in field works and exposed many cases.
* You were posted in zone IV as a DCP, Please share your experience?
-I worked for about 3 years under the Thane Commissionerate as a DCP Zone IX at Ulhasnagar. I had a great experience tried to work at a different level and people there were also corporative.
* You also served as a SP, Latur. What challenges you faced there towards policing & maintaining law & order?
-Being in Police dept we tried to work differently for the people of latur. Like I started 3 campaigns, first was Baliraja Samikaran that is an account which comes under the collector, Instead of wasting money on the dj`s or sound system on the festival days which causes sound pollution as well as money wastage, it should be deposited in Baliraja Samikaran and used as an help for the family of farmers who suicides. I was able to deposit 25 lakh rupees in that account. Second campaign was Mano Milan under which we council the couples against domestic violence. The couples who come to us we try to solve and council them so that their relation don’t get spoiled. Third one on Parivantan campaign in which we call some convicted criminals and ask them to spread a message through their speech to the common people as an awareness that after doing crime what happens and what problem he and his family has to face. By a single crime how his whole life is spoiled.
* What will be your top priorities as a SP, Thane Rural?
-Discipline is in my top priorities Discipline will be the first thing as it is very necessary in every department, Second the visitors, I have instructed all my officers to be polite with them and listen to all the visitors. Bad behaviour against the visitors not be tolerated. Next will be welfare of our police officers. Crime detection and prevention will also be my top priority, proper preventive measures will be taken so that crime is prevented and if it crime happens then proper detection so that it could be stopped. My agenda is to stop all the illegal business running in Thane Rural.
* What will be your action on anti-trafficking, brothel, gambling and anti-social element in Thane rural?
-I will make whole chart on each and every illegal activities, study the whole thing about how and what are they doing and then take the action against them. I won`t tolerate any kind of illegal activity in my area. I will take quick actions, also we will get the help of locals through Public Police Mitra movement where we can keep eye on illegal activities in every area.
* Mira Bhayander jurisdiction is known for Illegal liquor supply & illegal dance bar, how will you tackle to curtail such illegal acts?
-We have start to raid such illegal places. After the raid, cancellation of their licence is most important & in a legal manner I will try my best and stop all these illegal activities.
* Illegal encroachment is most challenging task in Thane Rural area, what will be your message for the land grabbers?
-We will keep watch on them and the protection from police will be given while the encroachment, will meet and discuss with the local bodies there, and try to bring control on such issues.
* Thane rural Police is always facing lack of man power like less officials & constables due to image of rural, how will you control the law & order situation with less man power?
-Yes, according to population the police manpower is less in Thane region. But with our police officers and staff I will study the whole thing and in which ever area the requirement will be more I will merge some police officials and try to resolve the problems.
* Mira Bhayander is not a tourist place, even though there are many lodges and bars, people from other states come here and enjoy their night; will you be able to change this image? How?
-Strict checking will be done, I will personally keep an eye on all the illegal activities and the licence cancelation will be done if anyone found guilty. 100% we will be able to control such nuisance.
* Due to Bhayander creek bridge damaged & also metro work is going on the western express highway traffic always occur in the area what will be the guidelines for the commuters and citizens of Mira Bhayander?
-My work is on! In this issue few days before I took meeting with my traffic officials, by little more working and with dome help of other people I will find some solution on this & try to bring some relief to the commuters.
* Do you believe in police mitra concept?
-Yes, I do believe in Police Mitra Concept and it is good to see people forward and help police share some important information’s lot of people work for it in Maharashtra, it is a great concept as they assist police in handling local matters as ‘Police Mitra’.
* Dr. Mahesh Patil known as a Sp of anti-bar drive whether same will be continued in your tenure, Please comment?
-Yes, I will give my 100% to stop all the illegal activities in my tenure.
* Have you ever influenced by any political pressure in your work?
-No, I have never faced and according to me if you are dedicated and focused to your job and having the ability to work with all your honesty & sincerity I don’t think any interruption will be done by the politicians.
* What are your expectations from you Seniors & CM of Maharashtra for police Department?
-I get all the support from my seniors and CM sir whenever needed and if anything is required in the future they will always there to support me.
* Singing is your passion since your student life, have you ever tried in Bollywood for becoming a great singer & celebrity?
-I never tried in Bollywood. It is my hobby and I enjoy singing but my first priority is and always be my police duty only.
* In what manner do you want to inspire your followers and well-wishers?
-Discipline is must in every field and according to me when people look up to you they follow you, so I want to inspire by followers by telling that keep yourself fit in all ways and keep discipline in each and every filed you work and work with all your honesty.
* Who is your role model?
-There are lot of people to whom I am inspired in my life but the one whom I want is name is A.P.J Adul Kalam.
* How you spend your leisure time? What is your fitness regimen?
-I love singing, whenever I get time I sing it is my passion my hobby. I also read books and love to spend time with my family as they are also the important part of my life and I also love to travel.
* What suggestion, advice you want to give to new students who aspire to compete UPSC?
-I really feel happy and proud when I see children`s of our constables are an IPS and I am happy that they are coming forward and achieving their goals. If once you have thought that you can do it you have the ability to crack the UPSC then no one can stop you. You must be dedicated and focused on your aim not only UPSC in any field you are interested. Keep discipline in yourself and no cheating with your studies.
* What message you would like to give to the official attached in thane rural & citizens of Thane?
-From the time of my appointment I keep meeting my officers and my instructions to them are clear, there should be discipline in my department and my officers should not be involved in any illegal activities. They should participate in all the medical welfare and do medical check-ups and keep themselves fit and fine. For the citizens I would save we are for you come to us feel free to save your problems. We will keep seminars in which we will keep meeting. For the senior citizens I will do something taking them along like their medical check-up and help them in their need. I will try to do some unique and helpful things for the betterment of thane rural.